When you hear the term “nanotechnology,” does science fiction spring to mind? In fact, nanotechnology is part of our daily lives; it makes our way of life easier. Nanotechnology is basically the science of dealing with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Scientists can use nanotechnology to produce new materials that can be applied and used in several different ways.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an example, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists developing a way to use nanotechnology to minimize the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes widespread, it can help lengthen the lives of machines and engines and help them operate more effectively. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists produced tiny polymer particles that were distributed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have a unprecedented ability to minimize friction.
More efficient motors
Even when distributed at low concentrations they diminished friction significantly, much more so then the friction additives currently being utilized in many industries today. How much more do they reduce friction? By about 55 percent more! Nanotechnology is a developing industry so expect more discoveries like this. In fact it is growing so quickly that the United States recently released a national strategy to be sure that environmental, health, and safety research requirements are addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
Next time you consider nanotechnology think of your car’s engine. Some day nanotechnology might be responsible for helping you save lots of money due to your engine using less gas.
Network and PC Security: 7 Tips to Fight Malware – Custom Information Services (CIS)
- 04/22/2014 Website Management – Spring Cleaning for Your Business Website
- 04/18/2014 Water doesn't have to mean the end of your devices
- 04/15/2014 Backing up your Evernote notebooks makes sense
- 04/10/2014 Bet you didn't know this about the Internet
- 04/08/2014 Steer Clear of These Crippling Social Media Mistakes
- 04/03/2014 Want to Know How to Save Your Dying Facebook Page?
- 04/01/2014 Asking for trouble: What if the only one with access to your business' online accounts dies?
- 03/27/2014 Have we become too dependent on our tech?
- 03/25/2014 Why are there so few women working in tech?
- 03/20/2014 Just how stressful is running a small business?